My Blog List

Monday, December 20, 2010

Erique Speaks: The N Word

The N word.
Just a small, 6 letter word with a huge impact, and sometimes consequences.

I would just flat out say the word within this blog, but I figure it would be safe to just not.
I'm sure everyone has got my point.

If you don't, get out more.

Not many people know that the N word is defined as an ignorant person.

Ignorant can be defined as, "stupid," "uneducated," or the nicest term, "unknowing."

But just because you now know the word's true meaning, do not think that it is okay just go around calling everyone by it.

Since as long as I'm sure many can remember, the N word has been used as a derogatory term towards African-Americans and blacks (some "African-Americans" do not know if their ancestors came straight from Africa to the States, so African should not be what every black person is considered.)

Around the later-mid 1900's, the word sort of became forbidden.
Unless it was spoken by black people.

Now, I don't like to be hypocritical, so I will admit that I DO sometimes use the word.
I use it whilst speaking to my family members.
I just started using the word this year, as a matter of fact.

I could not stand the fact that so many people (my classmates as well as other blacks, racists, my family, everyone!!) used the word so freely.

So, I made it an effort to refrain from having the word come out of my mouth.

I still do not say it often, however I DO say it.


But recently I've been avoiding the usage of the N word in my own vocabulary.


I used to agree with others when they would tell me how ridiculous it is that black people get upset when someone of another race uses the word, while a lot of us say it 24/7.


However, people should really take this into consideration: black people took something, A WORD. 

A simple 6 letter word that was used as such a negative weapon against us so negatively to put them down for so many years, and made it our own.

Flipped the script.

Turned the tables on that ass.

They made it so that it was our word, and that no one could ever try and use it to put us down EVER again......or else.

(consequences.)

So, do you think we want to just give it back?
And let people go around saying it after we took it, let alone have them calling us that again?

Hell to the no!!

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone the free usage of the N word by black rappers, actors, or comedians (or how often they use it rather.)

It is borderline outrageous at times.

And I feel that since black Americans have set so many trends in this country.
  •  All the dances in the 60's (the fly, the twist, the mashed potatoe)
  • Freak dancing
  • Jerking
  • "Party like a Rockstar"
  • "Crank that Superman"
  • "Pop, Lock, and Drop It"
  • Rock n' Roll (Little Richard, Chuck Berry)
  • SLANG 
Whether America wants to believe it or not, black culture has heavily influenced this country for many years(not that any other races have not.)
So, blacks need to take this into consideration:

Many people embrace the black community.

Even if someone is racist towards blacks, something they do or say in their lives has been influenced by blacks.

A lot of people think it is fun to mimic and mock black people. Not always in a rude way either, some just think it's fun, which is fine with me. 

So, when people see blacks using the N word as often as they do, EVENTUALLY they will start using it themselves.

And that should tell us something, n'est-ce pas?

In all honestly, the U.S. and the rest of the world should just erase the N word from this earth once and for all.

It would bring down a lot of racial barriers, and it just might make this world and all of our lives a lot easier.    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment