My Blog List

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cartoon Photos on Facebook: Raising Awareness, Trends, or Guilt?

First and foremost, I am not against the cause or ANYONE who is contributing to it.

For the past few days, many fellow Facebookers have all given up their self obsessions and put up a picture of their favorite cartoon characters as their main photo for child abuse awareness.
This is fun idea, of course.

The cause has gotten so big and reached so many places that even my Dutch friends that I met on vacation in Vegas are changing their photos to cartoon characters over in Holland!!
But how much awareness is really going on?
 
Child abuse still gonna be happening once we all decide to take these photos down, n'est-ce pas?

I had debated on whether I should contribute to the cause or not myself.
I honestly was going to consider it.

I started looking on Google images for MY favorite characters: 



Dijonay Jones of the Proud Family,



the Question from the Justice League Unlimited,



Twister of Rocket Power,

And the list goes on.
I have yet to hear of anyone being attacked verbally (or electronically in this case) over Facebook for not having their photo of a cartoon character.

However, I can only imagine that it's only a matter of time before.
I read that they plan on having every photo of a cartoon character come the morning of December 6th.

Honestly, I feel like nothing is really getting done.

I feel like some people (SOME, don't start attacking me individually telling me that you aren't part of that SOME) are only joining in on this to not look bad in front of their friends and fellow Facebookers.

How many times a day did you think of this before?

And why aren't we raising money or something?

If we're all so concerned that is.
I personally do not feel guilty about keeping my photo as a photo of myself.

I look at it as if it's one of those Jesus chain letters or posts, trying to make me feel guilty if I do not repost the damn thing.

Saying things like, "God is watching," and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Yes, he is.

But I feel like I can worship him myself.

I don't need someone trying to make me feel guilty about it.

It's fake in other words if I do.

One thing I'm not is a follower.

I do what I do for me.

Yes, I'll gladly help spread the word for the awareness.

But if we're going to be bringing up awareness for such things, we should be doing it daily
 for EVERYTHING.



Homeless Awareness



Hurricane Katrina: Still Living in a Trailer Next to My Home Awarness

Gang Violence Awareness

(my brother was a victim to this)

The Bank and Their Hidden Fees Awareness 

Prejudice Awareness

And the list goes on and on.

In closing, I am not against the awareness of child abuse.
It's just, I feel like I'm wasting time posting pictures.

 Why not get proactive if I really DO feel strongly about it that is...

A quote from a fellow Facebooker: 

"I don't see how the cartoon picture is raising awareness...unless you're all getting off Facebook and trying to actually stop child abuse; it seems almost pointless."

Once again, I am not against the cause or anyone contributing to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment