My Blog List

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Creative Writing "Critiques"

This semester I planned on not taking any classes, and just working and saving money to move out and away.
All the way to Albuquerque, New Mexico actually.
Things at the nest just aren't going to great.
(Or weren't).
Mama bird and I are just around each other too much a mon avis (in my opinion.)

And if we're not, I feel like we'd get along a lot better.
Anyway, I had heard that people who take a semester off,  usually don't go back.
And I felt that I could definitely fall into that category.
So, to avoid that from happening, I crashed a few classes at the last minute.

All I could get were Weight Training (SO easy to crash) and Creative Writing.
Creative Writing made me extremely nervous the first few times I went into this class.


I felt as if I was in a classroom with all of these EXCELLENT writers.
I registered for the 3 hour, once a week (every Tuesday night) class the day AFTER its first class session (Wednesday afternoon.)
So,  I was basically the new kid.

I suffer from anxiety.
I'm starting to learn to control it lately, but I wasn't then.
I would wait to take my Prozac (Yes, Prozac) right before walking through the classroom door.
I wanted to be calm in the class.

After weeks of being in the class, I grew comfortable with my classmates, and with the class in general.

In Creative Writing, each week 4 people (the class decreases its number of students each week so it's less than 4 now) turn in a short story or poem for the class to read.


Everyone takes them home, reads them, critiques them, then bring them back for class discussion the following week. 
And that week, 4 more people submit their short stories or poems.


It is really fun to read others' in the class work, and seeing all the talent around me in class.
However, I don't feel like I'm really learning anything...


We aren't really being taught anything.


At the critiques (class discussions), all we do is talk about what we liked, what we didn't like, and what can improve in the piece of work.


The person whose work is being critiqued may not speak until the very end.


I'm very modest and talk only about the stuff that I do like.
However, the rest of the class (and there are specific people) DO NOT hold back!!

If I don't like something in someone else's work, WHO CARES?


That's their work, that's their art.


Why are we putting down each other's art?
That's our pride, that's our joy.


When it comes down to it, it's about what the author or writer wants!!


Were all the famous authors and writers past and present listening to what everyone else says?


If that's the case, I don't think there would be a Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Harry Potter, or even Star Wars for that matter.


I'm doing good in the class though.


:D

No comments:

Post a Comment