My Blog List

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A Public Service Announcement: DO NOT Cash Stranger's Money Orders

I'm sure most of you smart human beings out there already know, that cashing others' money orders for them is NOT a very smart idea.

Unfortunately, my poor friend in New York City never got that memo, and is now paying for it.

LITERALLY.

So my friend (and NO I'm not secretly talking about myself) was walking down the streets of Manhattan a few weeks ago, and was approached by a young man, probably 18 to 19 years of age.

The guy asked if my friend could help him. We all know what a New York minute is, and my friend really didn't have time to be helping people at the moment, but the kid was quite persistent.

The kid asked if my friend could CASH HIS MONEY ORDER FOR HIM.

He immediately said, "no," and continued on, however the kid informed him that he isn't from the area, and really needs the money.

Feeling bad and just wanting to get the kid to shut up, my friend decided to perform a good deed for the young man. Grateful for the deed, the young man offered my friend $20 "for his troubles."

Well, we all know the old saying, "no good deed goes unpunished."

A week later, my friend get's an alert that his bank account has fallen under a certain amount of money. Confused, he went online to view his account and saw that it was NEGATIVE!

He went to bank to sort this ordeal out, and come to find out, the money order was FAKE all along!
And now my friend will have to pay the bank back all of the money!

I don't understand how my friend could be so naïve, however, we ALL have to live and learn from our mistakes. Even the dumb ones.

Let this be a lesson to all: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT cash anyone else's money orders.

You'll be broke going on vacation just as my friend is now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment