My Blog List

Thursday, March 17, 2011

What Happened To Black History Month? And Marilyn Monroe and James Dean: Black Friendly?

What did you learn in school for Black History Month last month?

As we all know, February (the shortest month of the year, mind you) is Black History Month.

The month to celebrate all what blacks in America(and all over the world in fact)have accomplished and overcome.

However, was it celebrated let alone even mentioned in the year 2011?

I didn't learn any facts in school, I didn't hear of many events to celebrate, there weren't even any commercials to remind us.


BET didn't even have commercials!!

People cannot be blessed with their own month, and not embrace it!!



HOW UNGRATEFUL!!


Now, I understand that we've all heard it all before.

About the slaves, Dr. King, Ms. Parks.

But these were very big deals, and even changed how life in America is today!!

This blog probably wouldn't even be read by some of you.

If you're tired of all the same stories, I'm sure you're not the only one.

Look to other things.

Marilyn Monroe, famous Hollywood actress, was involved with Civil Rights just like Dr. King.



She was very black friendly, and even had close black friends.

Including

singer, Ella Fitzgerald
and actress, Dorothy Dandridge who was often compared to Monroe.
It was because of Monroe that Ella Fitzgerald was able to perform at the Mocambo, a famous nightclub in the 50's after being denied because of her skin color.
It is said that before Monroe's death in 1962, that she spoke to President John F. Kennedy about more civil rights for blacks.
Dorothy Dandrige was also friends with actor, James Dean.
Dean was also friends with black entertainer, Eartha Kitt.

They even studied dance together.

Dean would drive around with Kitt in his Porsche with the top down despite pleas from producers to not be seen in public with her as it may have affected his image.


It is said that 2 weeks before dying in his Porsche, Kitt told Dean that she did not like the car, and that it would kill him one day.

And it did.

I'm not here to give you a history lesson though.

My point is don't forget because you think you know it all.



The INCREDIBLE stories of the slaves and blacks who fought hard for civil rights in the 50's and 60's happened not that long ago if you really think about it.



They fought to go to school



To eat at restaurants and to drink at any water fountain.



They fought for freedom.
And to be treated like a human being.

Imagine how it would be if such events never took place...


4 comments:

  1. Amazing! Somebody finally said it, i applaud you for taking the time to write this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the pictures you put in this post really were work a thousand words. I used to think that Black history belonged to those who were Black. Like it was theirs to celebrate what those before them had overcome. But lately I've realized, it's really more a human celebration. What was done to blacks in the past belongs to me, even though I'm white. Like who knows, I could have been born as anything. I don't know if this really makes sense, but it felt pretty profound to me at the moment. Oftentimes when speaking of black history I feel like am obligated to apologize, but I have come to the conclusion that I carry the trials and accomplishments of the blacks with me, as well as the wrongs and accomplishments of the whites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gabby. I actually wrote it, typed it, put all the pictures, and posted it all within 25 minutes, ha.

    It's been on my mind from the middle of last month, but with school, I barely had time to post it.

    And, Desiree, thank you so much for your input. I'm glad you've grown to embrace black history, because it is part of every American's history. I STILL can't believe it was like this, and I'm really glad you like the pictures. Some of them made me want to cry. And I thank all of these people, because although every person is different, there is a likely chance that we wouldn't even be friends had these people not done what they did. And we need to give respect to the whites who grew up knowing to dislike blacks because that was how they were raised to think. We need to give respect to the majority of them who learned to overcome their way of thinking and open their eyes, and accept people for who they are, and not their skin color.

    I could write a book, haha.

    ReplyDelete